SITRA has been designated as the Centre of Excellence for Medical Textiles. With infrastructure support provided by the Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of Inda, SITRA Meditech will be offering the following facilities at one place for the convenience...
SITRA has established a very good reputation in serveral fields related to textile. Achievements and contributions made by SITRA towards the advancement of knowledge on textile science and technology as also for the improvement of the textile industry...
The South India Textile Research Association (SITRA) has 8 Divisions which offer a wide range of services- Textile Testing, Manpower Training, Consultancy, Inter-firm Studies, Energy Audits, etc. - to textile industry. A brief description of the various services offered is given in this handout.
1.Liaison and Consultation
A. Inter-Mill Study
Costs, Operational Performance and Yarn Quality: Quarterly Inter-Mill Study of Key Factors
This unique study on inter-mill comparison of key parameters which affect cost of production, productivity and profit of spinning mills, was initiated by SITRA during 1997. Over 400 mills spread all over India including a large number of Export Oriented Units (EOUs) and other High-tech mills have been utilising this service. The study which is being conducted twice a year, i.e, second and fourth quarters, covers more than 50 key parameters which include Yarn Sale Value, Raw Material Cost, Net Out-put Value, Power Cost, Salaries and Wages Cost, Power Consumption, Labour and Machine Productivity, Yarn Realisation and Quality, Product Diversification etc.
B. Consultancy Services
1. Diagnostic Study
2. Modernisation Study
3. Techno-economic Viability Study
4. Cost Reduction Study
5. Scientific Work Assignment Study
6. Valuation of Machinery
7. Yarn Realisation and Waste Control
8. Costing Method
9. Stores Audit
10. Productivity Improvement
11. Appraisal of New Projects etc
C. Inter-Mill Study of Productivity
Productivity surveys, conducted once every 2 years, have been an integral part of SITRA’s services right from its establishment in 1956. The two main purposes of this survey are to enable mills to: (1) judge their labour and machine productivity levels against the standard and also in relation to the performance of other mills, and (2) identify the areas, departments and operative categories where the productivity requires to be improved.
Services offered by the Spinning Division are broadly categorized in the following areas:
1. Quality Management 3. Spinning Trials
2. Product Development 4. Consultancy
Provides expertise and conducts awareness programmes on:
* ISO 9001 : 2000 Procedures
* Total Quality Management (TQM) & Quality Circle (Q.C.)
* Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
* Concept of 5S work practices in Textile Industry
* "Kaizen" concept for Spinning Mills
* "Failure Mode & Effect Analysis" Concept and
* Application of Quality Function Deployment (QFD) &
Just-in-Time (JIT) in Textile Industry
* Technical Textiles from conventional fibres like cotton, polyester, nylon etc. using short staple spinning machines as well as from high performance fibres like Aramid, Flame Retardant Viscose, Flame Retardant Polyester etc.
* Jute blended fabrics
* Processing of cotton, manmade fibres and their blends
* Arriving at achievable yarn quality for different raw materials
* Optimisation of process parameters
* Jute blended yarn spinning
- Maintenance Audit
- Quality Audit
- Trouble Shooting
- Airjet Spinning and Friction Spinning Concepts and
3. Textile Physics
The testing laboratory of Textile Physics Division comprises Fibre, Yarn and Fabric testing sections.The laboratory has received ISO/IEC17025 Accreditation from the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL). NABL, a Government of India body under the Department of Science and Technology, is a part of an international arrangement known as International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC). With this accreditation, SITRA’s test reports are valid in all countries which are signatories to ILAC arrangement, thereby eliminating re-testing of textiles by the foreign buyers. All the fibre, yarn and fabric tests are carried out as per ASTM, BS, BIS and other international standards.
Some of the instruments available in the Textile Physics Division are:
o High Volume Instrument (HVI)
o Advanced Fibre Information System (AFIS)
o Digital Fibrograph (Length & U.R%)
o Stelometer (Strength and elongation)
o Fibre Fineness Tester
o NaOH Swelling Method (Maturity coefficient)
o Trash Analyser (Trash content)
o Trash Seperator (Microdust levels in cotton and slivers)
o Moisture Testing Oven (Moisture content and regain)
o Fibroglow (Fluorescence value of cotton)
o Fineness and Strength Tester for Man-made Fibres
o Cohesive force using Instron Tester (Inter-fibre friction)
o Uster Tester 3 & 4
o Uster Tensorapid & UTR-3
o Zweigle Yarn Hairiness G565 & G566
o Uster Classimat System II & III
o Constant Tension Transport (CTT)
o Electronic Inspection Board
Instruments for testing properties such as stiffness, air permeability, abrasion resistance, tear strength, bursting strength etc.
Instruments for Micro Level Analysis:
o Image Analyser
o Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
SITRA Calibration Cotton
SITRA supplies calibration cottons for conventional fibre testing instruments such as stelometer, digital fibrograph, and fineness tester and separate cottons for HVI.
4.Textile Engineering & Instrumentation
A. Energy Audit
Comprehensive Energy Audit
Energy audit is conducted in three different sections viz 1) Electical Engineering 2) Mechanical Engineering and 3) Textile Engineering.
Energy audit invloves three important steps:
Measurements are carried out at all distribution and utilization points in a textile mill. Each energy consuming area is analysed in detail and the scope for conserving energy is determined by comparison with the standards. After quantifying the savings in the existing consumption, cost benefit analysis of all conservation measures in electrical network, ancillaries and productive machinery are worked out and the overall energy saving potential is derived. It is expressed as a percentage reduction in annual consumption. Action plan for the implementation of energy conservation measures will be presented to the mills.
Mandatory Energy Audit
SITRA is recognised as one of the approved and authorised Energy Auditors for conducting Energy Audits in High Tension Industries by various State Electricity Boards.
B. Power Quality Audit
C. Humidification Study
D. Compressed Air System Study
E. Noise Level Study
F. Vibration Study
G. Illumination Study
SITRA has been doing the calibration of textile testing and measuring instruments and established the procedures according to the international standards. SITRA Calibration Certificates are approved by ISO 9000 Certifying Authorities
A. Testing Services
The chemical testing lab has been accredited by NABL for the last three years and recently upgraded to ISO/IEC17025 status in the field of chemical testing pertaining to textiles and chemicals. Most of the chemicals, dyes, water, size material, wax and oils which are used during the processing of cotton, polyester, nylon, silk etc., are tested. Tests are done as per BIS, ISO or in house method. The eco lab having state-of-the-art instruments cover eco parameters to be evaluated for export market especially to Europe.
B. Technical Services & Consultancy
1) Techno economic feasibility study of
- Yarn mercerising and dyeing plants
- Fabric processing units
- Setting up of chemical testing laboratories
2) Process optimization through quality/process control
3) In depth studies for conservation of steam, water & electricity
4) Work Assignment study
5) Effluent characteristic study and advice on the treatment plants
6) SITRA can help mills in getting Öko Tex 100 Certificate.
7) Speciality Services
- Study of customer specific problems
- Proficiency Testing Programmes
- Preparation of test samples for inter lab studies
6.Weaving & Knitting
SITRA has ultra modern looms such as Picanol Rapier loom, Toyota Air jet loom and in the process of acquiring Sulzer loom. Training on these looms can be arranged at SITRA.
SITRA has 7 Powerloom Service Centres in Tamil Nadu at Karur, Komarapalayam, Palladam, Salem, Sankarankoil, Somanur and Tiruchengode, fully sponsored by the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. SITRA also operates a textile service centre at Chennimalai fro the benefit of both handloom and powerloom units in the region. The various services offered by the Powerloom Service Centres are:
* Liaison visits to powerloom units to identify various technical problems and to provide solutions.
* Rendering technical advices for modernisation and product diversification
* Preparation of model project reports and bankable project reports for setting up new units.
* Training the powerloom owners, weavers and jobbers
* Conducting workshops and seminars on subjects of topical interest.
* Testing of yarns, fabrics and sizing chemicals for their properties.
Computer Aided Design (CAD) Centres:
SITRA has 4 CAD Centres situated at Coimbatore, Karur, Komarapalayam and Somanur. The various services offered are:
* Design development for Handloom and Powerloom jacquards.
* Reproduction of designs as given by entrepreneurs.
* Creation of fabric simulations and graph printouts.
* Conduct training programmes for designers, entrepreneurs etc.
* Consultation on designing
Sample Collection Centre at Tirupur
For the benefit of exporters, processors and allied industries, SITRA opened in May 2005, a sample collection centre at Tirupur. Instead of sending samples by courier or bringing samples in-person to SITRA, Coimbatore, customers in the region can drop their samples at the collection centre in Tirupur. The test results are sent to customers directly by email/fax and courier. The process reduces “turn around time”, enabling quick receipt of test reports.
The various training services offered by SITRA are given below:
A. Staff Training
1. Managerial Programmes
a. Residential Management Development Programme
b. Management Development Programme
2 .Functional Programmes
a. Textile Testing (Physical) - Fibre, Yarn and Fabric
b. Textile Testing (Chemical)
c. Quality Control in Spinning
d. Cotton Selection and Assessment
e. Production and Cost Control
f. Energy Management for Textile Industry
g. Textile Machinery Maintenance
h. Textiles for Non-Textile Executives
i. Training for Trainers
j. Scientific Work Assignments and Productivity
k. Trade Union Leaders Programme
l. Technical and Behavioural Skills for Supervisory Staff
B. International Training Programmes (ITP)
- Textile Mill Management
- Textile Testing & Quality Control
- Textile Extension
- Personnel Management
C. Training Programmes for Shop Floor Workers
- Operative Training Programme
- Jobbers Development Programme
D. Other Services
- Performance Evaluation of Operatives
- Scientific Selection & Recruitment of Operatives
In addition, SITRA offers specific need based training programmes at the mills or at SITRA.